Geocaching has been incredibly popular for years not just since the pandemic started! But wow, has it taken off as a popular pastime since social distancing became so important.
Bell Buckle has quite a few caches to challenge and entertain one and all! So you say, what is Geocaching and how do you get started? Well, glad you asked!
The geocaching official website describes geocaching a a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
It is super simple to get started. The best bet is the “official” Geocaching App for your phone. There is a free version that works great plus a paid upgrade within it that shows more geocaches and has more features. There are videos, explainers etc. within the app that can help to guide you along the way.
Your best bet is to Start Here. That should walk you through downloading the app and getting started.
If you want to do some research beforehand there is decent info here.
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership.
- Visit the “Hide & Seek a Cache” page.
- Enter your postal code and click “search.” Bell Buckle’s postal code is 37020
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
Have fun! Everyone that does it has a blast!